Getting started as a new-to-KU researcher
The KU Office of Research is here to support your successful research program at KU. We will be your partner throughout the grants life cycle while ensuring you have the tools to meet research integrity requirements. And if your KU research yields innovations for the marketplace, we will help you navigate the commercialization process.
Below are units within the Office of Research to help you get started.
Carol Burdsal, email@example.com
The Research Development team provides resources to help you search for external funding opportunities, network with federal agency program officers, build collaborations, and optimize your competitiveness for awards.
The KU Research Pre-Award Services team offers comprehensive proposal preparation services. Please contact Pre-Award 2-3 weeks in advance of a deadline. If you are working with a research center for preparation, Pre-Award requests 5 business days to review and approve prior to the submission deadline.
The Contract Negotiations team in the Office of Research reviews and negotiates sponsored and other research-related agreements, and issues subaward agreements and subcontracts.
Multiple teams provide award management support:
- Award Processing Services (APS): Opens and maintains sponsored award and project records in the financial system, working with other teams to ensure accurate and up-to-date information is included.
- Award Management Services (AMS): Performs day-to-day financial management duties, including forecasting, sponsor communication and supporting PIs with award financial management. You will be assigned an AMS grant coordinator or officer to assist with managing your sponsored awards. You can find a list of assignments on the KU Research website.
- Sponsored Project Accounts Receivable (SPAR): Performs award cash management duties, including issuing sponsor invoices and following up on outstanding balances.
- Administrative Compliance & Audit (ACA): Responsible for payroll, fellowships/scholarships, effort certification and other financial compliance tasks required for fund stewardship.
Contact: Susan MacNally, firstname.lastname@example.org
Works with KU committees, departments and centers across campus to provide administrative oversight of the compliance areas including human subjects, animal care and use, conflict of interest, restricted research, responsible scholarship, and scholarly misconduct.
Multiple teams provide sponsored financial services, including services to support research-related activity.
- Procurement: Support for obtaining all research-related supplies, equipment and service. Contact this team at email@example.com.
- Travel: Guidance on travel and travel policy. Contact Karen Schaller at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Equipment and property management: Contact this team at email@example.com for questions about equipment/property procurement or management.
- Participant payments: Paying individuals under KU's Human Research Protection Program. Contact Kevin Teel firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Service center rates: Development and maintenance of rates for recurring services in support of research. Contact Daniel Wilmont at email@example.com with questions.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or questions about public disclosures, patents, commercialization or related needs.