Swift startup license
To promote innovation and entrepreneurship, the KU Center for Technology Commercialization offers a simple, ready-to-use license agreement for startup companies that are using KU-patented intellectual property. Attractive to prospective investors, the Swift Startup License agreement streamlines the negotiation process, reduces upfront legal costs, and allows startups to invest time and effort in developing KU technology.
Swift startup license basics
- Exclusive license with right to sublicense
- No upfront fees
- No repayment of patent costs ($20,000 limit; future patent costs paid by licensee)
- No equity to KU
- No annual minimum fees
- No minimum annual royalties
- One low, flat patent royalty rate — fixed 2% on sales of any product(s)
- Sliding sublicense revenue starting at 35% that steps down to 15% over five years
- 1% “success fee” when the company is acquired or goes public
- View the non-negotiable Swift Startup License template (.pdf)
Ready to get started?
Connect with us to bring your ideas and technology to the global community