Kansas Biological Survey Director Search
The KU Office of Research, as the administrative home of the Kansas Biological Survey, is overseeing the search process for a new director. The mission of the KBS — a KU designated research center — is to pursue a deeper understanding of and appreciation for our biological resources through world-class research, education and service that enlightens, engages, and empowers people in our state and beyond. Established in 1911, the Survey is a nexus for natural sciences research, environmental mapping, conservation and education.
The new director is expected to assume leadership this summer, succeeding Ed Martinko, who has been director since 1983. Martinko is retiring from KU.
The search committee is chaired by Bryan Foster, Senior Scientist at the Kansas Biological Survey and Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EEB).
The other committee members are:
- Helen Alexander, Professor, EEB
- Jim Bever, KBS Senior Scientist and Foundation Distinguished Professor, EEB
- Sharon Billings, KBS Senior Scientist and Dean's Professor, EEB
- Amy Burgin, KBS Associate Scientist, Associate Professor, Environmental Studies / EEB
- Scott Campbell, KBS Associate Researcher
- Craig Freeman, KBS Senior Scientist and Senior Curator, R.L. McGregor Herbarium
- Ted Harris, KBS Assistant Research Professor
- Jude Kastens, KBS Research Associate Professor
- Rolfe Mandel, KGS Senior Scientist / Director and University Distinguished Professor, Anthropology
- Maria Orive, Associate Professor, EEB
- Dan Reuman, KBS Senior Scientist and Professor, EEB
Finalists and Public Presentations
Each candidate will deliver a public presentation. All KU faculty, staff and students are invited to attend and share their feedback following the presentations.
Presentations will be delivered in Capitol Federal Hall with receptions immediately following in the Colloquium.
- Friday, April 5 | 3 p.m. | Room 2001 | Carlos de la Rosa | Share your feedback about this candidate
- Monday, April 8 | 9 a.m. | Colloquium | Sara Baer | Share your feedback about this candidate
- Monday, April 15 | 3 p.m. | Colloquium | Bradley Cardinale
Carlos de la Rosa, adjunct professor and senior researcher, National University of Costa Rica and University of Costa Rica
- de la Rosa CV (PDF)
Sara Baer, professor and chair, Department of Plant Biology, Southern Illinois University
- Baer CV (PDF)
Bradley Cardinale, professor and director, Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
- Cardinale CV (PDF)