Please take note of these significant changes from a March 12 NIH notice and begin updating documents now to ensure they are ready for use in any upcoming NIH submissions. NIH expects applicants and recipients to use the updated biosketch and other support format for applications, Just-in-Time (JIT) Reports, and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPRs) as of May 25, 2021. NIH will require the use of the updated format pages beginning on or after January 25, 2022. Contact Brad Bernet with questions related to the new formats.
Other support format page
The format page has been re-organized to separate funded projects from in-kind contributions. Additionally, a signature block has been added for program director/principal investigator or other senior/key personnel to certify the accuracy of the information submitted. Each PD/PI or senior/key personnel must electronically sign their respective Other Support form as a PDF prior to submission.
Other support includes all resources made available to a researcher in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether they have monetary value and regardless of whether they are based at the institution the researcher identifies for the current grant.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Resources and/or financial support from all foreign and domestic entities that are available to the researcher. This includes but is not limited to financial support for laboratory personnel and provision of high-value materials that are not freely available (e.g., biologics, chemical, model systems, technology, etc.). Institutional resources, such as core facilities or shared equipment that are made broadly available should not be included in other support, but rather listed under facilities and other resources.
- Consulting agreements, when the PD/PI or other senior/key personnel will be conducting research as part of the consulting activities. Non-research consulting activities are not other support.
- In-kind contributions, e.g. office/laboratory space, equipment, supplies, or employees or students supported by an outside source. If the time commitment or dollar value of the in-kind contribution is not readily ascertainable, the recipient must provide reasonable estimates.
Other support does not include training awards, prizes or gifts. Gifts are resources provided where there is no expectation of anything (e.g., time, services, specific research activities, money, etc.) in return. An item or service given with the expectation of an associated time commitment is not a gift and must be reported as in-kind other support.
Reporting of other support is required for all individuals designated in an application as senior/key personnel and devoting measurable effort to a project. Other support is not required to be submitted for individuals categorized as other significant contributors.
Biographical sketch format page
Section B, Positions and Honors, has been renamed Positions, Scientific Appointments, and Honors. For the non-fellowship biosketch, section D has been removed. For the fellowship biosketch, section D has been updated to remove research support. As applicable, all applicants may include details on ongoing and completed research projects from the past three years that they want to draw attention to within the personal statement, Section A.
Revised instructions for the biographical sketch (changes in bold)
- Personal statement updated to read:
Briefly describe why you are well-suited for your role(s) in this project. Relevant factors may include: aspects of your training; your previous experimental work on this specific topic or related topics; your technical expertise; your collaborators or scientific environment; and/or your past performance in this or related fields, including ongoing and completed research projects from the past three years that you want to draw attention to (previously known as research support).
- Positions, scientific appointments, and honors updated to read:
List in reverse chronological order all positions and scientific appointments both domestic and foreign, including affiliations with foreign entities or governments. This includes titled academic, professional or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received, and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary (including adjunct, visiting or honorary).
Section D. Scholastic Performance updated to remove research support. Section D is present solely on the fellowship version of the biosketch, and no longer includes research support, only scholastic performance.